This is a great weekend brunch meal and even more so for when you have it with friends and mimosas. enjoy!
Country Fried Yams with Sauteed Chard and Poached Eggs
Serves 4 / approximately 15 - 20 mins
2 Large yams chopped into 1/4" cubes
1 bunch of chard chopped into 1" pieces
4 cloves of garlic (chopped into a fine dice)
1/2 small onion (diced small)
1/4 stick of butter (butter is preferred)
2 Tbs of white vinegar (for poaching)
2 pots of boiling water with 4 cups of water each
8 eggs poached (see poached eggs recipe below)
Salt and Pepper TT
1. Cut the yams into 1/4" cubes. This is easiest to do by cutting the yam in half first, then quarters then into 1/4" slices then 1/4" cubes.
2. Drop yams into boiling water and let boil for about 5 mins. You do not want to cook the yams fully. This is just to break down the starches in the yams. Drain yams from water into a collinder and let sit for 5 mins.
3. Set second pan for boiling water for poached eggs and add vinegar and salt. (this helps create acidity to keep the eggs from falling apart in water).
3. Saute 1/8 stick of butter in a pan and let melt till pan is well coated. Add the cubed yams and let simmer in butter until well browned. Do NOT stir! This can take anywhere from 10-20 mins depending on temp and altitude.
The idea is to do a shallow deep fry and flip the yams in the pan so they are well tossed in the butter and get an even coat. The yams should be crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Stirring will turn it to mashed yams so DO NOT stir!
4. In a medium sized pan, saute onions and garlic till nice and translucent with the remaining butter. Add chopped chard to pan and let saute for 5-15 mins. (until well cooked). Add salt and pepper too taste. Cover and set to side.
5. Poached eggs:
There are many resources online to make a perfect poached egg. How I was taught to make poached eggs was...
1 pot of boiling water with 2 Tbs of vinegar and salt.
With a slotted spoon in hand, drop in one egg at a time and instantly start reforming the egg into a nice shape.
Remove egg from boiling water and only do one egg at a time.