Saturday, November 9, 2013

Ode to Bone Broths...

Dear Bone Broths,

How I love thee... 

You nourish and comfort in the winter months. Flavor soups, rice, beans and such. 

You use all the parts that would go to compost or trash, yet breathe wonders of life into flavors, energy and health. 

Your healing properties are immeasurable and your flavor even more so. 

If done right, you are the best magic of any culinary delight... 

                   -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bone broths are truly one of the greatest things you can add to your culinary arsenal. They are more affordable than boxed, canned or concentrated broths like a bouillon cube or paste (IF you use your ingredients wisely) and also reduce useless waste as well as add a wonderful nutritional benefit.

One of my favorite ways to get into the habit of making broths is to have a large sturdy freezer bag in my freezer.

Anytime I start chopping onions, veggies, or meat with bones, I VERY carefully clean and wash the leftover items and then slowly add them to my bag of treats in the freezer which eventually becomes my store house for ingredients that go into the broths.

Onion ends, garlic bits, leek greens and carrot ends with the greens are a very common staple of my frozen bag of treats.

Each bag of broth always yields a new result but it is one of my more favorite pass times when on some of my culinary journeys.

Please let me introduce you to one of my favorite broths I have ever made...


This magic of wonder was made from several bits and odds from a local organic CSA box I was getting at the time. The leftover carcass is from a house smoked pasture raised chicken I brined and smoked here at home.

I then later added whole pepper corns, bay leaves and a few fresh herbs like thyme and oregano.

The stock was then strained and made into a fantastic risotto, meat sauce and a few other culinary delights that truly would have been nothing if it wasn't for the flavor bomb of this stock that combined smoked chicken bones, fantastic locally grown veggies and time and love...

A typical bone broth should cook at least 24 hours.

Re-puprosing good vegetable bits and flavors.... 

Some of the greener parts of onions, leeks and garlic may not be appropriate for a fine dish but can add worlds of flavor to your broths.

Don't be afraid to use those parts. However, it's extremely important to clean them well and make sure nothing is rotting or dirt or mold goes into this collection.

Apple Cider Vinegar is also extremely crucial in this process as it naturally can kill certain bacteria. AVC also leeches many vital nutrients from the bones and veggies creating a more nutritional meal that is more readily available for your body to absorb.

There are so many more resources you can look into on the subject and by no means am I an expert. I only hope to share what resources I have.

To better food and health.

Below is a wonderful recipe on medicinal bone broths.

http://risingmoonnutrition.blogspot.com/2013/01/food-as-medicine-bone-broth.html





No comments:

Post a Comment